I was experimenting with a new recipe I found for a chocolate chiffon cake that has been going viral on the internet lately. I can see why! My first attempt turned out nicely. The recipe produces a cake with a moist and light texture. It is just delicious and will definitely go well with buttercream. I’m going to use this for a Korean Buttercream Flowers Cake order that requested for chocolate cake.
If you have any questions regarding this recipe or any other post, please leave me a comment in the “LEAVE A COMMENT” link and I will reply you as soon as possible.
Recipe adapted from Frozen Wings with some modifications.
6 egg yolks
72g butter (melted), the original recipe asked for veg. oil
120g full cream milk
156g dark chocolate, break into pieces
66g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt (optional)
6 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
Utensil: 21cm tube pan
- Melt dark chocolate and butter over double boiler or in the microwave. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool.
- Add in egg yolks and milk into the slightly warm melted chocolate and mix well with a hand whisk. Sift in the flour, coco powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then mix to a smooth batter.
- Using an electric mixer whisk egg white until frothy before adding cream of tartar and continue to beat until foamy. Gradually add in sugar and whisk until stiff peaks.
- Mix 1/3 meringue with yolk and chocolate batter with a spatula. Add another 1/3 portion and fold gently. Then pour in the balance of meringue. Fold gently using a spatula until well incorporated.
- Tap the mixing bowl lightly to release the air bubbles. Pour into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and invert the pan. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.