I got a little bored with a plain loaf and I thought I would try something different. This is my first attempt and turned out OK. I would like to try Japanese Sweet Potato and Pandan the next time. It was so soft and light while still fresh and warm. If you prefer soft bread, just put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and it will come out moist and soft even after the bread has been kept a few days.
Yield 4 loaves
Pumpkin Bread Dough
400g bread flour (high protein flour)
250g of pumpkin, peeled, sliced, steamed and mashed
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp instant active yeast
150ml fresh milk
White Bread Dough
500 gm bread flour (high protein flour)
2 tsp active yeast
4 tbsp skim milk powder
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp sugar
100g butter or vegetable oil
250 ml water
1 egg (for egg wash)
- Place all ingredients for pumpkin bread dough in the bowl of your stand mixer and knead for 10 to 15 minutes at medium speed until it had come together and become elastic.
- In a separate stand mixer bowl, place all ingredients for white bread dough and knead with mixer for 10 to 15 minutes at medium speed until it had come together and become elastic.
- Set aside both dough in separate bowl to rise for 45 to 60 mins or till double in size.
- Punch down the bread dough to release the air.
- Shape the dough
(a) Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 4 equal portions for each of the dough.
(b) On a floured surface roll out the dough into a rectangle with a rolling pin. Around 6 inc X 4 inc.
(c) Brush the surface of pumpkin dough with water then stack the white bread dough on top.
(d) Roll the dough like swiss roll. Brush the end with water to seal.
(e) Place dough in the pans lined with non-stick baking sheet.
(f) Let the dough rise for another 45-60 mins or until double in size.
- Brush the dough with egg wash (egg/water mixture).
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for 30mins or until golden brown.
- Remove bread to cool on rack completely.