I have always wanted to bake a square chiffon cake. Thank you to Jeannie Tay for sharing the recipe. I am so happy that the cake turned out with no cracks.
Recipe adapted from Jeannietay’s Blog
5 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
60g corn oil
150g mashed banana
1/4 tsp Salt
80g Cake flour
5 Egg whites
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
Utensil : 7″ square or 8″ round pan, greased the sides and line the bottom. Wrap the pan with aluminium foil so that the water doesn’t get into the pan if spring form pan is used.
- Use hand whisk egg yolks, 1 whole egg and corn oil until frothy then add mashed banana and mix well. Sift in the flour and salt and mix again until well combined. Set aside while you prepare the meringue.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white, cream of tartar and castor sugar until firm peaks formed (firm peaks is between soft peaks and stiff peaks).
- Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a hand whisk. Add another 1/3 portion and fold gently with the whisk. Then pour in balance of meringue. Fold gently using a spatula until no more streaks of meringue can be seen.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in a water bath for 70 minutes at 160°C.
- Remove from the oven and drop the pan at a height of 10 cm onto a table top. This will prevent cake from sinking.
- Unmould as soon as you can. To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the pan and invert the cake on non stick baking paper. Peel off baking paper from the base and re-invert onto a rack to cool.