Cream Puffs with Sweet Corn Custard Filling!
During a Chinese New Year family dinner this year when I was back in Penang, my sister made us cream puffs for dessert. I loved it so much I asked her for the recipe which she was generous to share. I tried it immediately when I returned to KL. The first time however, I over baked the pastry and they turned out a little hard. I tried it again last week and this time I got it just right.
If you have any question on this recipe or any other post please leave them in the comments above “LEAVE A COMMENT” and I will reply you as soon as possible.
Yields: 24 Cream Puffs
220 ml water
Pinch of salt
160g plain flour
4 big eggs / 5 medium eggs
30g corn flour
25g custard powder
2 big eggs / 2 ½ medium eggs
400 ml full cream fresh milk
225 ml water
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 to 5 tbsp canned sweet corn (cream style), optional
- Pre-heat oven to 450F or 230 C.
- Pour in butter, water and salt into a saucepan and bring to boil. Then add flour at once into the boiling liquid. Stir thoroughly until mixture form into a ball of dough and does not stick to the side of the pan.
- Remove from the heat, transfer dough into a bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Let it cool slightly.
- At medium speed, add eggs, one at a time, mix until well combined. The pastry dough should be shiny, thick, smooth and sticky.
- Place dough in piping bag with round plain tip and pipe onto baking pan lined with baking sheet, 1 inch apart. The size is around 1 ½ inch diameter or at your desired size. Smooth the pointy tops with a wet finger.
- Bake at 230C for 12 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Blend custard powder, corn starch, eggs and some of the milk. Set aside.
- Pour water, remaining milk, cream corn and sugar into a saucepan, bring almost to boil over medium heat.
- Lower heat and add eggs custard mixture. Stir all the time until the mixture become thicken.
Remove from heat, add in butter and vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Cut each cream puff horizontally into two halves.
- Transfer sweet corn custard filling in piping bag with round plain tip and pipe it into the bottom half of each cream puff and close with the upper half.
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving.