I have a crave for fruits cake and couldn’t wait till next Christmas.
100g almond meals
1 tsp mixred spice (Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and coriander)
2 tbsp jam/marmalade
5 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking Powder
1/2 cup fresh milk
2 tbsp rum
1000g mixed dried fruits (soaked in 1/4 cup or more of rum/brandy for 2 – 3 weeks or up to 1 year)
Juice and zest (outer orange skin) of one orange
- Preheat your oven to 180 C.
- Grease and line 2 baking tins (Square tin: 21 cm x 14 cm). Line inside with baking parchment, then wrap a double layer of paper/newspaper around outside and tie with string to secure.
- Sift together, flour, baking powder, almond meals and spices.
- In a bowl of stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add in egg yolks until nicely mixed together.
- Add in milk, jam, orange juice, orange zest and mix well.
- Fold in the flour mixture and add the soaked fruits and brandy.
- Beat egg white till stiff and fold into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 70 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack. When cold, wrap the cake tightly in a double layer foil or clingfilm in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator (up to several months).
- I soaked the dried fruits for 6 weeks. The longer you soak the fruits become more moist. I baked before fruits that I soaked for 2 weeks and it turned up alright too.
- Add more alcohol if dried fruits are too dry during soaking process.
- I normally keep in the fridge for one week to let the cake set before cutting.